Alia Bhatt's Makeup in Student of the Year
|Alia Bhatt in SOTY|
But I have my reservations for two reasons:
1. I have a hunch that a lot of products I saw in the movie were actually MAC.
2. I'm not sure 16 year old girls want to wear makeup like Alia Bhatt does in the movie.
And here's why.
Most 16 year old girls hate lipstick. Reasons range from "Ewww, only aunties use it!" to "It makes me look old" and others. They generally prefer light tinted gloss or lip balm.
But in this movie, Alia uses lipsticks in most of the scenes. And not just light, MLBB lipstick (that is just during certain "hospital" emotional scenes), but rather bright, in your face, lipsticks. Using such colors takes a certain amount of style and confidence which most of us acquire only in our twenties.
But her look is a new, modern take on the "Bollywood" heroine look which until now was stuck to old routine of smoky eyes, mlbb lips (she does wear this, but only in certain scenes) & so on. For those of you looking for ideas on how to carry off bright lipcolors, do check out her makeup in the movie.
To get her look:
1. Since she plays a school girl in the movie - she has very fresh, dewy, and illuminated (apply a highlighter) skin. Of course, this being a Karan Johar movie - there is no sign of acne or awkwardness in our girl.
2. Her brows are full and well - defined with light brown powder.
3. In scenes where she sports bright lipstick, her eye makeup is very natural & understated. Just defining of crease, tight-lining, some black eyeliner on upper lash line, false lashes in certain scenes & tons of black mascara on upper & lower lashes. In order to give her that innocent wide eyed look - there is no black kajal on the waterline, but instead on the lower lash line.
4. I don't think she was wearing any blush in the movie, if she was it was very, very subtle.
5. The lips. I think I sported MAC Russian Red, Ruby Woo, Impassioned / Girl About Town, Diva & maybe even So Chaud on her. The brighter, the better. In some scenes she goes subtle, but even then it looked like she was wearing lipstick like MAC Cherish. I didn't feel she was wearing gloss at all in the movie. And she carried off these lipsticks quite well. They were applied & the edges of the lips perfectly defined using a corresponding lip liner. Cupid's bow was not defined sharply.
In all, it is an interesting look for her in the movie.
The movie itself I feel would appeal mostly, again to 13 to 16 year old girls who might find the entire life of Alia super glam, pretty & one they would love to inhabit. Filled with Jimmy Choo shoes, designer togs & model like clothes, Alia's character is one I just couldn't identify with. I remember my teen years as those full of bad hair days, acne to deal with, confidence issues as well a lot of bargain shopping as my pocket money wouldn't allow me to look beyond Elle 18, forget being able to afford Maybelline. I felt it was a waste of 3 hours on Dassera for this movie, though I feel it is much better than Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. But then I've never been a fan of K-Jo movies.
Alia is okay in the movie. I personally feel that she looks a bit ordinary - especially in scenes where she is not sporting those bright lipsticks. I think the choice to make her wear such colors was on purpose. The bright lipsticks draw attention to her face & make her look more glam than she actually is. In scenes with natural makeup, she looked just okay.
Have you seen SOTY? What did you think of the movie & Alia's look in it?