Mineral oil is good for Dry Skin

Controversial topic once again. And I would like to admit right at the start that a few months ago I was anti-mineral oil in skin care.

After suffering a very, very bad case of allergic reaction that caused my skin to wrinkle, peel and flake with Nivea (which by the way took 3 months to recover from), I carefully studied all the ingredients in Nivea and vowed to ostracize them for life.

One of these was petrolatum or mineral oil or paraffinum liquidum. I kept away from any lotion that so much had a hint of this in the ingredient list. Convinced by the huge online propaganda that this is devil’s own skin care lotion and has been put on earth to wreak havoc on all our skins.

Until 2 weeks ago.

I was experimenting at home – making some lotion. I didn’t want to waste my precious almond and jojoba oils, so for the starter experiment I decided to use mineral oil(Johnson’s Baby Oil). Once I got it right I would use the “better = natural” oils.

So I melted some beeswax, added mineral oil, and once it was slightly cooled, whipped in some rose water. Voila, my lotion my ready!

Since this was my first lotion, I didn’t feel like throwing it away. I began using this. Tentatively at first – on hands. Then on my face.

There has been no looking back since then. This thing is an excellent make-up remover. It removes even the most stubborn mascara. Upon removal it leaves behind a light film that leaves my skin very soft. My skin feels cleaner, is softer and blackheads have gone (apparently the oil must have dissolved/melted/dislodged them). I don’t need any other moisturizers now. People have been asking me if I have had some kind of skin polishing done on my skin. It glows. Really. No lying.

I don’t think Mineral oil is as bad as it is being made out to be. In fact studies have shown that it does not cause pimples as previously believed. (read it here). Mineral oil literally melts into skin, flowing into the spaces between cells and the gaps in our lipid barrier. Once there, it re-solidifies, locking itself in place.

This serves two functions: First it helps keep the outside world out - it protects skin from the effects of weather and exposure. Second, it acts like a sealant to help keep the inside world in - it forms an occlusive barrier to the natural water loss of our skin. So skin that is dry and chapped is protected from drying elements, enabling skin-softening moisture to build up naturally from inside the skin itself.

Yes, like all ingredients – everyone reacts to it differently. (Like I just hate Olive Oil – I hate its smell, it is too thick and it just sits on my skin). There are people whose skin cannot tolerate mineral oil at all.

To read some of the common myths of Mineral Oil – busted go here.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

  1. For some reason I have never had any scare of oils. In fact, my skin gets so horribly dry in winters that no body lotions work on my body. I reply totallyy on Johnson's baby oil. Infact, I also use oils on my face atleat once a week that keep my skin alive.

    And i like olive oil as well. :P I know people are very scared of using oils on they body and skin. I am okay with it. :)

    Doesn't it feel great when you get compliments for good skin? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG !! I sigh at the sound of oil !!
    too bad for my already oily skin , I even tried OCM and initially it was so good buh later was responsible for my uneventful breakouts , eeks !!
    tani , I thot yu have oily skin :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. No oily/heavy products for me..after so long battling with zits,Its a phobia I think I am gonna carry forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Divs: I just love it :D. Ppl have been asking me if I am getting some treatment or some clean up done.

    It is amazing that when you cut out the complexity from your regime, the better your skin looks :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Palak: I used to have oily skin *Sigh*.. as a teenager i was plagued with big pores, oily skin, acne ..

    But over the years, acne medication - Clearasil & clay packs dried out my skin. & now since I have spent the last 5 years - literally 20 out of 24 hours in an air conditioned environment - it has made my skin very dry.

    So I have dry patches on my cheeks, an oily nose and big pores - basically combination skin :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Simran: I can understand yr phobia.

    But when you consider that in older times all cosmetics/creams were made in an oil base - I wonder wht the oilyies did then :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thank you for taking the time out to add your valuable comment. I will revert as soon as possible.

COMMENT MODERATION POLICY FOR ADDICTED TO BLUSH BLOG

I delete blatant self-promotion and comments where it is clear the post material was not carefully read. If you are not going to bother to engage with the post, I am not going to bother posting your comment.

I also delete ALL comments with links - even if the link is to your blog.

Don't be mean to other commentators - it serves no purpose other than showcase your own personality in a bad light.

Popular Posts